Thursday 27 September 2012

F*CKING AWESOME PECAN PIE

I JUST INVENTED GLUTEN FREE LOW CARB INSANITY OR WHAT I LIKE TO CALL,

 F*CKING AWESOME PECAN PIE.


Ok, so my bro and I are still doing the low carb thing with amazing results. We are eating high veg, meat, egg, cream and nuts and berries, low on the grains and spuds.

We have both lost weight, but also 'jelly'. Now a little bit of Jelly is dam sexy, but I was starting to worry about mine, I am small, so I hide it well, but I was definitely on the road to getting much bigger and more wobbly and my back was starting to hang over the top of my skinny jeans. A big no no for a fashion conscious middle aged punk.

I also have been carrying a lot of fluid on my body which has all but disappeared from my ankles and lower back and thighs. My arthritis pain is at about half it's usual burn, I have had that since I was 25 - I couldn't walk for about 3 months. It isn't going to go away, but it defo hurts less. Some of the research suggests that a low sugar low carb way of eating may also improve my bone density. I will get back to you in a year about that, but currently (due probably to gluten sensitivity) it is about that of an unhealthy 70 year old.

So I have been going apeshit, researching and experimenting. I with the help of my brothers iphone have discovered there are some artificial sweeteners out there that are not bad for you! They are made from sugar alcohol or something and some can actually be very good for people with bone density issues and such. I am using one that I found at the stupidmarket. It is called Nativia. It is a combo of Stevia (an herb) and Erythritol, which is found in fruit. info on erythritol to peruse.

Here is how it goes.

F*CKING AWESOME PECAN PIE.


The stuff that goes in it.

Crust
25g of salted butter
1.5- 2 cups of almond meal.

Melt butter. Nuke it or bung it on the stove. Mix with almond meal. Tip into a cheesecake tin, or a glass pie dish. Push around until it covers the base. I like thin bases, so if you want it thick and up the sides double this quantity.

Filling (try not to drink it all before you cook it).

15g salted butter melted
50ml maple syrup - I effing love this stuff so much
1 large teaspoon of Black Strap Molasses - optional, but freaking yum
250ml thickened cream
1/4 cup Nativia natural fake sugar - or similar, don't use plain stevia though, it will taste foul
2 eggs
1 teaspoon gf baking powder
250g Pecans. (reserve some for fancy decoration if you like).

Mix everything but the pecans together. I just did it in my Pyrex Jug with a whisk. I love my jug. They cost about 12 bucks but they are worth every cent and last forever.
 Chuck the pecans on top of the pie crust then pour over the yummy custardy juice.

Bung in the oven. I didn't pay much attention and nearly burnt it because I was busy writing this, but I reckon about 180-200C for about 25 to 40 mins. Ish. Just keep an eye on it.

Cooked a little fast, but still delicious.


I have turned mine off and left it in the oven, it is a bit wobbly but seems firm to the touch, a delightful golden brown. I am going to leave it in there for a few mins then take it out to cool completely.

OMG, I couldn't wait for it to cool, so had a taste test and burnt my tongue! It is delicious!
Now I have to wait for it to cool so I can take fancy shots of it on the x-mas plate.

You could have this with cream, or cashew cream or coconut cream.
I think this one will be pretty hard to make vegan, but I will try one day.



Genius! Though it was a bit hard to get out of the pan, perhaps if cooked slower it would work better. NOMMY.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments. Especially if you have either tried my inventions or have invented things yourself!